Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford in Manchester, England, Saturday, March 12, 2022. (AP Photo/Rui Vieira)
- It’s Manchester United vs Chelsea in the EPL on Thursday, April 28 at 2:45 pm ET
- Chelsea needs a win to maintain third while United needs one to keep in the hunt for top four
- We preview the game, look at the Manchester United vs Chelsea odds, and offer some picks below
It is Manchester United vs Chelsea at Anfield on Thursday, April 28 at 2:45 pm ET in the EPL. With Chelsea in third and United now down in sixth place, both teams have plenty to play for as they look to clinch places in next season’s Champions League.
We preview Manchester United vs Chelsea and offer below the best picks for this huge EPL clash.
Manchester United vs Chelsea Odds
Odds as of April 28 at Barstool Sportsbook
The bookies have Chelsea listed as favorites in the EPL odds in plus money at +120, which comes with a 44% implied win probability, compared to United’s +225 with an implied probability of 29%. The draw also offers a decent return at +255, with an implied probability of 27%.
Over/Under and Spread
They list over 2.5 goals at a very short -124, which is unsurprising given United’s defensive troubles of late but offers little value. If you believe United can contain Chelsea’s talented forward line, the +100 on offer for under 2.5 goals gives you a chance to double your money.
If you’re new to this sport and want to know how to bet on soccer then our page offers help on how to bet on this game and others like it.
Manchester United vs Chelsea Prediction
While the announcement that Erik ten Hag will take the United managerial reins in the summer has lifted spirits off the pitch, on it things are not good at all. Three defeats in their last five games have seen the Red Devils drop out of the Champions League places and down to sixth, with defeat at Arsenal at the weekend taking the Gunners up to fourth – six points ahead of United and with a game in hand.
Despite Cristiano Ronaldo netting for the 100th time in the Premier League at the Emirates, goals from Nuno Tavares, Bukayo Saka and Granit Xhaka gave Arsenal victory, with United’s cause not helped by Bruno Fernandes missing a penalty.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) April 28, 2022
Decent Home Form for United
While rumors circulate of Ralf Rangnick losing the trust of the United dressing room, his team has quietly put together a decent run of form at Old Trafford, where they are unbeaten in seven EPL games. Their problems have essentially been on the road, where they have lost two on the spin. What they will be desperate to avoid is a third consecutive defeat as that would be the first time it’s happened since 2015.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) April 27, 2022
Manchester United vs Chelsea Head-to-Head Stats
|15-9-10||EPL record in 2021-22||19-8-5|
|53 / 51||Goals for / Goals against||67 / 27|
|497.8||Passes per match||594.9|
|13.8||Average shots per game||15|
|D-L-W-L-L||EPL form guide||W-L-W-L-W|
The Blues With Off-field Issues
It’s been a tricky few months for Chelsea who have had off-field problems to contend with. With the club’s ownership still up in the air, the uncertainty has filtered through to the pitch where results have been mixed and included a Champions League exit at the hands of Real Madrid.
The Blues did however manage an important home win at the weekend when, despite Jorginho missing a penalty, they managed a 1-0 win over West Ham thanks to a 90th-minute winner from Christian Pulisic. It was a crucial victory as it maintained a five-point gap between them and fourth-placed Arsenal.
Heading towards another matchday! 👊 pic.twitter.com/fNTOf0e1Z3
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) April 27, 2022
Poor record at Old Trafford for Chelsea
When these two sides met at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season, Michael Carrick – then holding the managerial reins before the arrival of Ralf Rangnick – led the Red Devils to a well-deserved 1-1 draw, and also worth noting is that Chelsea has gone eight EPL games against United without a win and haven’t won at Old Trafford since 2013.
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) April 26, 2022
Manchester United vs Chelsea Team Lineups and Injuries
Man United Projected Lineup: De Gea, Dalot, Varane, Lindelof, Telles, McTominay, Matic; Elanga, Fernandes, Sancho, Ronaldo.
Man United Injuries: Pogba, Cavani, Shaw, Fred.
Chelsea Projected Lineup: Mendy, Chalobah, Silva, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Kante, Jorginho, Alonso, Mount, Lukaku, Havertz.
Chelsea Injuries: Chilwell, Hudson-Odoi, Kovacic.
Manchester United vs Chelsea Picks
Chelsea’s away form has been good, so they’ll be confident heading to the so-called Theatre of Dreams, but United, despite their struggles, are hard to beat at home. In front of their own fans, they will be desperate to avoid another defeat by one of the top four and so, for me, there is value in the draw.
Picks: Manchester United and Chelsea to draw (+255) / Under 2.5 goals (+100)
Once just a sports fanatic, fan-turned-writer Gary Gowers has been featured on European television and radio networks to discuss several professional football clubs. His work can be found in an assortment of publications like The Metro, MyFootballWriter.com, and BBC Radio Norfolk.